Olympian, Terry Brahm, Encourages Hoosier Health at Let’s Move! Day Indianapolis
Sunday, September 22—Terry Brahm, Olympian and IU Hall of Fame honoree, will attend Let’s Move! Terry Brahm, OlympianDay Indianapolis (Let’s Move! Indy) and award honorary medallions to some 5K participants who cross the finish line at White River State Park.
“Brahm’s legacy for an active lifestyle makes him the perfect advocate for the Hoosier Health Movement,” Says State Representative Karlee Macer, honorary co-chair for Let’s Move! Indy.
Brahm won the NCAA Championship in the 5,000 meters in 1986 and was a member of the 1988 U.S. Olympic Team in 5,000 meters. In 1984, Brahm set the IU and Big Ten mile record at 3:54.56 – a record that was not broken until this past summer by IU’s Andy Bayer.
“Its incredible how physical health can set the tone for success! Being physically fit lets us think in healthy ways, which basically gives us the foundation each of us needs to build personal success,” says Brahm.
Brahm and his wife, Nina Brahm, also a runner and an attorney working as the Grants Director for the Health and Hospital Corporation of Marion County, share their passion for Healthy Hoosiers through the Brahm’s Running Camp. They started the camp in 1997. Now the running camp is sponsored by Asics and helps kids in grades seven through twelve, “build foundations for self-sufficiency and personal success.” Readers can learn more about Brahm’s Running Camp at www.BrahmsRunningCamp.com.
“Terry’s support at Let’s Move! Indy is invaluable. It assures us the Hoosier Health Movement is moving in the right direction as it publically launches at Let’s Move! Indy,” Kortnye V. Hurst, ReloveLife community liaison, says.
Amongst those supporting the Hoosier Health Movement, the following entities are attending Let’s Move! Indy as part of the coast-to-coast fitness party the White House recognizes as Let’s Move! Day:
• The Indianapolis Motor Speedway (giant inflatable racetrack for kids and IMP mascots)
• The Urban Garden (helping kids to plant turnips in a cup)
• Fun Zone (brought by Event Fun and includes laser-tag, and an inflatable obstacle course, giant slide and moonwalking game)
• LA Fitness (fitness demonstration, games with kids at the Kid’s Health Expo mentioned below, grab bags as prizes to some who finish the 5K, and free memberships to all of our volunteers)
• Kids Health Expo (eight interactive kid games and puzzles that help kids discover “health ideas”)
• YMCA (obstacle course)
• Health Source (trigger point therapy)
All activities are free at Let’s Move! Indy, with exception to the 5k run/walk. Register for the 5K at LetsMoveIndy.com ($10). On site registration is available Sunday, September 22, 9am ($15). A press conference about the Hoosier Health Movement is at 9:15am. Let’s Move! Day events begin at 10am and conclude at 2pm at White River state Park, Celebration Plaza.